Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Rounding out the first month.

It's been a while since I've posted anything, but that doesn't mean I've been lax with my reading. I'm actually relatively happy with my progress thus far. Just about five minutes ago I finished Anthem by Ayn Rand, pushing my monthly total to, I believe, twelve. I'm not sure where my page count is at, but it has to be behind schedule. It will probably take me four months to read the 9,000 pages instead of the intended three, but overall I'm impressed with my fortitude.

Anthem explores the connection between the concept of "we" versus the concept of "I." Rand was a proponent of objectivism, or egoistical hedonism, which promoted the philosophy of putting the self first. This is not initially a very attractive approach, but once you read the book, you at least see where Rand is coming from. The "we" mentality is basically that of peer pressure. If humanity is taught that they are part of a collective, and the collective's will is best, it allows for gross conscious deadening. I think Rand was trying to say that if you lose sight of the fact you are an individual, and have an independent mind, that in of itself is holy, you become inhuman. Where I would depart from Rand is her (I'm saying this from an assumptive position) belief that man is essentially good, and it is his nurturing that makes him digress from such. I believe if objectivism ran rampant, it could not promote happiness.

East of Eden (EOE) was as life changing as a non-Biblical book can be. Steinbeck found and saw something in his mind's eye, pertaining to humanity, that truly makes sense. In man's battle with good and evil, there must be a choice, a determination that takes place, that directs how he evolve. Heritage may be a strong factor, but choice is still there. This thought is presented through a modern re-telling of the story of Cain and Abel (in EOE Caleb and Aron) and the Hebrew verb "Timshel," which is best translated as "Thou mayest." When God speaks to Cain regarding his attitude about his sacrifice being less than Abel's, he says "If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him" (Genesis 4:7). This "thou shalt" is better translated as "you are able to" or, "thou mayest" alluding to the fact that humanity, man, has the ability to combat, and defeat, sin.

In EOE, the various ways Timshel can be inserted into the human condition is explored. Forgiveness, greed, avarice, lust, depression, and any other vice that humanity struggles with can be faced and defeated.

I'll try to keep up with a weekly post, but that is all I can promise right now. Additionally, I've began a rating system for all of the books I've read, and hope to pass that on. It is on a 1-5 scale.

East of Eden 4.75
Anthem 4.00

Read on.

1 comment:

  1. We obviously need to talk about Objectivism to get a clearer picture.

    For one, Rand doesn't concern herself with whether man is innately "good" or "evil", but that the human spirit has potential to create and ingenuity should not be sacrificed to the will of others. Objectivism is the polar opposite of Altruism. The moral values of Rand's philosophy guarantee nothing, except placing human life as the standard and living it to the fullest.

    That being said, I am glad you gave her a chance. I got a little sick at the suggestion that if Objectivism ran rampant it would cause much unhappiness. I would argue that the near 3,000 years of dominant Judeo-Christian doctrine has done little for the human species, along with any other form of mysticism.

    All opinions aside, I look forward to reading East of Eden. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete